Julia Terwilliger’s affinity for words began in her high school’s library when she joined the yearbook staff. It grew into a passion while she worked as a communications strategist for the University of West Florida. At Up&Up, she bridges higher ed know-how and creative storytelling as the agency’s copywriter.
Julia collaborates with the team to uncover those meaningful narratives for universities and colleges. She crafts copy and helps develop strategies across the board for Up&Up’s clients.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- How Julia initially began working within the world of higher education at the University of West Florida as an intern
- Why Julia loves her role as a copywriter and how she found her love of words at a young age
- Why a big part of Julia’s work involves being clear on her audience (students, donors, alumni) and what content and call to action will appeal to them
- How Julia navigates the challenge of moving between multiple brand voices and personas within her writing
- What advice Julia offers to ensure that your higher ed institution has a clear, unified voice across multiple content contributors
- How to start researching the stories and interests of your various audiences, and what resources Julia recommends you create and collect
- Why workshops help ensure everyone uses the same branding message and how they make an impact within any budget
- Why Grammarly.com and other tools may improve your writing quality and how to best use them
- How to avoid “content bloat” by determining content’s newsworthiness and focusing on quality over quantity